Saturday, August 15, 2009

Woman with Flower

I wouldn't coax the plant if I were you.
Such watchful nurturing may do it harm.
Let the soil rest from so much digging.
And wait until it's dry before you water it.
The leaf's inclined to find its own direction;
Give it a chance to seek the sunlight for itself.
Much growth is stunted by too careful prodding,
Too eager tenderness.
The things we love we have to learn to leave alone.
Naomi Long Madgett

I needed this reminder today and I thought you might too. Just for today I am going to let it be okay that my new house isn't finished. I LOVE it and I am going to leave it ALONE. I am going to trust that there is something unfolding greater than my controlling time table. There was once a beautiful spot in the woods. There was nothing there but this empty spot in the trees. Level ground. Some rocks. And a dream. That dream is soon to become the home where we live our life. Today, instead of seeing all that isn't done I promise to be amazed at all that has been done. There is a floor and a ceiling, walls and windows. A covered front porch that we eat blackberry pie on in the middle of thunderstorms. There is a driveway and even electricity and water. I choose to marvel that out of nothing and no way, a way was made. For this I give thanks and allow the house some room to breathe and a chance to get away from my eager tenderness. Is there anything or anyone that you need to stop coaxing and just allow the situation to be what it is? Let's just go for a walk in the sunshine and stop trying so hard to make it all happen.
Let's be like the blade of grass that never struggles to grow.
Let's just be.
I am glad to know you are with me and I am not alone.
Love,
Kimberly

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Okay, you've got me thinking all profound and stuff (trying to write inspirational words like you)....If I am with you, and you with me, then WE are not alone.... Great post. Thanks!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate it more than you know.