Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Regular Life

It can be tempting for me to think that every post needs to be profoundly inspiring and that can keep me from coming here to talk to all of you. That is ridiculous. The goal of this from the start was to use this blog to share my life. Sometimes it is profound, but sometimes it is pretty darn regular. I would never want readers to think that my life is simply one inspiring moment after another becuase quite frankly...it's not. I would like to lose weight, I feel a little short on cash at the moment and my house is WAY too small. I have no closets and my house often looks like a laundromat. It is helpful at times to visit my new house and see that each person in this family will indeed have their own closet soon and there will be plenty of room for our expanding family. Somedays it makes me feel worse because it isn't done and I have to dig deep inside and find some more patience and some more faith and there are days where I don't know if I have either of those things left. On those days my husband would like to be living on another planet and I would like to go with him and leave myself behind, if that makes sense. I think the hardest thing about this process is constantly feeling like we have something to do. There is very little down time and when there is we both have a tendency to feel guilty. This is terrible because we really need to rejuvenate from time to time in order to accomplish all that we are trying to do. My husband has a tendency to live in the "I will be happy when...." place. I sometimes follow suit but I know this is so wrong. Happiness is available in every moment if I choose that for myself. This is my new realization and I commit to looking for and living in the happy right now. This moment. I have prolonged joy too long. What if this was my last day? That would suck. Seriously. How can I be happy each day? By deciding to be. That's how. So this is what I have decided, I am going to be a happiness junkie. A crusader for all that is good. Sometimes it can be a Venti Iced Chai from Starbucks, sometimes a good movie, sometimes a hug from my daughter, sometimes a note that somebody is reading this blog and they are getting something from it and sometimes I will even struggle to find the happy. But I will. I am going to make a list of all the things that bring a smile to my face, those things that make me settle into myself and remember to breathe and to laugh. I deserve this and so do you.
Let's start a happiness revolution.
And that leads me to the picture above. I LOVE this old sign. It used to hang in one of my favorite deli's. I was so sad the day I went to get my favorite sandwhich and the place was empty. I was not happy! But I was very happy about a year later when my husband and I drove past a garage sale and that pepsi sign was one of the items for sale. It practically screamed my name as we went whizzing by at 60 mph. My shrieks of joy freaked my husband out who probably thought he had just hit a small mammal. He turned around at my request and a short ten minutes later we had that sign in the back of my car (it is a little hard to drive with a metal sign over your head, but it CAN be done). Now it hangs in my dining room and makes me so happy. The fan in front of it makes me super happy too. I found this about a month ago at a garage sale. It was $7. They do not make fans like this anymore. It drowns out all sorts of annoying sounds and actually moves air around unlike the new versions. I love the color too. It makes me want to break out the old country music and put cocktail peanuts in a bowl and make a litte cocktail to go with them too. It makes me want to play cards and go camping. Yes, this one little fan in front of this sign makes me feel all of these things. Next time I can't find my happy you will find me in front of this fan with my hair blowing back staring at the pepsi sign and I might even have a cocktail in my hand. If you find me this way, please don't disturb me I am just trying to find my way back.
I will be just fine.
Here's to Happiness,
Kimberly

No comments: