Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Is a picture worth a thousand words?












There is a time for words and there is a time when there aren't enough words to describe what we are thinking or feeling. I have a friend on facebook who I went to school with but I have not seen her since 1987. We "friended" each other on facebook earlier this year. I was so happy to see her face and hear what she has been up to over the past two decades. Recently she posted a visual journey for her facebook friends that were strictly images of her over about a 25 year span. I was so moved by this. One of the first ones was a photo of her exactly as I remember her. It was maybe her 15th or 16th birthday and I said out loud "there she is". It brought a smile to my face and a flood of highschool memories. As I looked at each photo I could see the same girl I remembered in each and every one. Some where she looked like she was searching for something, some where she looked like she had found what she was looking for, some where she looked so wise and mature and some where she looked very childlike in her joy. But I could see the essence of who she is in each and every photo. I actually felt that I had learned a lot about where she has gone and who she has become in the years that have passed since I last talked with her. I found it very inspiring that I could feel so much by letting the images speak for themselves without any descriptions or words to get in the way.
Sometimes in our attempts to explain we lose the very thing we are really trying to say.
Sometimes the very best thing we can do is say nothing at all.
I thought it would be fun to just post the above images and not explain them away.
Enjoy!
Kimberly



1 comment:

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.