Thursday, August 6, 2009

Excuse me, can you please move your ducks out of the road?

"The sun with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do."

Galileo


I needed to get out of the house today and the baby needed a nap. Perfect. When she is tired the car puts her to sleep before the wheels leave the driveway. I decided to go for a little country drive which isn't hard at all because I live in the country. Pick a road, any road, they all lead to the country. The first thing I see are these ducks holding council smack dab in the middle of the road. At first I wasn't sure what it was so I slowed down, as I got closer I saw it was a group of ducks. I kept going very slow thinking that as I approached they would move. Not so much. I got closer, and closer and closer but it was obvious that they did not plan on moving one little bit. So I went around them. As I drove away I glanced in the rearview mirror. They weren't even looking back at me. Such rude ducks. Don't they know they live in the country?


















What would the country be without an old barn and a cornfield? I never stop thinking this is a beautiful sight.















Some black eyed susans just because.















I really, really want to drive this car to the farmer's market on Saturday mornings. I want to wear a sundress and a really big hat with Patsy Cline belting her lungs out on an old 8 track player.
















This is the field next to the house that I grew up in. The neighbors owned the field and they were farmers. The same family with the one little girl for me to play with while I grew up. If you are wondering, we are still friends to this day. That would make it a 36 year old freindship. Each summer they would plant this field with corn for the cows but because they were so kind and generous they planted the first few rows with sweet corn just for us. As soon as it was ready we ate it almost every single night with dinner. Husk it (that was my job), boil it, roll it in butter, a little salt and pepper and it beats any fine dining I have ever experienced. Have you ever ate corn on the cob while looking out your window at the field that grew your corn? I count myself lucky to say that I am this club. I have always loved living in the country and that only intensifies with each passing year. Don't go crazy and think I don't love myself some Starbucks and a little retail therapy at Anthropologie and of course a little dinner at PF Changs because I do. Seriously. I enjoy the city and then I go running back for the comfort of old barns, cornfields and some very rude ducks.
Until next time,
Kimberly

No comments: