Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sedona Sedona Sedona

Sedona, Arizona
All I can do when I see this is breathe.
Deeply.
How can I describe the way I feel when I am in this beautiful place? I have lived in upstate New York most of my life and the majority of my traveling was up and down the East Coast. I had no idea this place even existed. One day I was visiting a friend who had recently traveled to Arizona and she was sharing her pictures with me (thanks Maralyn). I was taken in by one picture in particular of her standing by a cactus. I realized instantly that I had to see this place with my own two eyes. All of a sudden it seemed ridiculous to me that I had lived nearly 40 years and I had never met a cactus in person. Decision made. I was going to Arizona. I am happy to say that a short 6 weeks later I walked off a plane with my dear friend Sharlyn into the warm Phoenix air. Luggage, rental car, map, water and we were off. Our first destination? Sedona. We had no idea what we were about to see. It was a breathtaking drive from Phoenix to Sedona. A landscape I had never seen. I just kept thinking that I couldn't believe this had always been here and I was just seeing it for the first time. As we came around a bend in the road the red rocks of Sedona came into view. I am still baffled as to why they call them red rocks when they are clearly orange mountains. Either way, named or nameless, they were stunning. I felt tears spring to my eyes at the sight of this majestic "rock". This was Bell Rock to be specific. We were in awe and just kept saying "oh my God, oh my God, and......oh my God". We spent the next couple of days exploring Sedona and we were fortunate enough to return at the end of the trip (eight days and a few thousand miles later!) I have been able to physically return two times since that first visit but I have returned there in my mind nearly everyday. On these actual trips I started wondering things like where is the post office, library, school and of course health food store. I realized why I was wondering these things and for the first time in my life I could really picture living somewhere else. I have no idea what the future holds (Thank God) and we are about to move into our dream house and I have very strong roots in this place I call home. I am blessed with a lot of family close by and some amazing friends. I also happen to love this area minus the six months of winter that drags on and on and on taking my sanity with it. But wherever I live one thing is for sure.....Sedona has taken ahold of me and me of it. I think of returning there often and I consider it one of my "places".
Have you traveled much?
This is what I have found, there are lots of amazing places on this exquisite planet. I am impressed with most everything I see. Even though I can see the beauty of a place I don't always feel connected to it. I find myself saying things like "that was nice, but I don't need to go back."
Don't you find the same thing too?
Some places beckon us over and over again. There is some reason beyond our understanding that makes us feel home. I love when this happens and I have been blessed to be born in a place which feels this way to me. I hear this is not true for everyone. I am curious where your places are. So do me a favor if you will and send me a note on the comments page of your favorite
place(s). I will compile the list and share it with everyone in a future post so we can all add to our travel wish list. Consider making Sedona next on your list if you haven't seen it already. You don't want to pass this world without sitting on one of those rocks.
Trust me.
Happy Travels,
Kimberly
P.S. I almost forgot. We have written a book about our Arizona travels that will be available for purchase and download in the near future. I will keep you posted on the details.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

OK so you want to know favorite places to travel and where I want to live???
My favorite place to go hands down is Europe. I love France (because I can speak the language some) and have spent some quality time there. I've also been to Spain, England, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Scotland and Holland... My next adventure in Europe will be Italy and Ireland, the two I's...don't know when but it's at the top of the list.
Where do I want to live? Hmmm... my dear friend Kimberly A. Holmes won't like this but here goes...
my latest leanings are as follows on the list of possible places to live:
Somewhere outside NYC, where I can take a train to work into the city but live in some sweet little hamlet or village a train ride away. The vicinity of Boston, again a train ride away from the city. Seattle area. Western Mass. Stay where I am in central upstate NY. Alaska (to be closer to my sister).
So that's the list. It' short and sweet and as always, I know I'll be led, by the powers that be, to the right place. I never so much as decide where I want to go. It's more like suddenly there is an idea in me, a longing for a certain place, or it may not be in my conscious mind at all and suddenly life presents itself in a certain way and I walk through the doors to the new place. I am a gypsy at heart. Always have been. Same as my mother and my sister Susan. I may never stay in one place forever. I like it that way. When I was young and living in Nashville my friends called me the "wandering Jew" just like the plant. It's true. It's who I am... so we'll see where Lisa Schwartz, RN ends up hanging her hat next.